Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Things to Get Hype About in 2016

There's something I've realized over the last couple of years in my life: The first three weeks of January are the worst. I literally have felt nothing in the past few days and am desperately trying to pull myself out of my funk. Seriously, have you any of you tried to be in Legally Blonde the musical with the winter blahs? It's helping no one.
So here's some stuff that's gonna be pretty cool or something. I don't know. Maybe. I think so anyway.

1. Deadpool. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. As someone who is going to study marketing in college, I've been taking notes on Deadpool's ad campaign, like oh my sweet chimichangas. I'm especially loving the fakey Nicholas Sparks-esque ads. Although in the regards, I also like this quote from the independent.

While it's wonderfully left field to see Marvel's hero take on The Bachelor crowd, let's not pretend there aren't hordes of women who don't need their boyfriends to tell them who Deadpool is, and actually can't wait to see him rip the arms off a couple of thugs and dance in the fountains of their blood.

2. Moana. Hamilton homeboy Lin-Manuel Miranda is composing the music, Dwayne the Rock Johnson is going to be singing this music, and actual representation in a Disney movie? Sign me up. It looks totally gorgeous.

3. Leonardo DiCaprio getting his Oscar. Of course, nothing is for sure as of yet,  but as I'll probably end up writing about sometime before the long awaited (or perhaps long dreaded) ceremony, our dear actor of constant sorrow Leonardo DiCaprio is finally the frontrunner for his harrowing work in The Revenant (don't go see this movie if you're of a faint of heart disposition or don't like bears). 

4. Hail Caesar. Holla at the Coen Brothers for always somehow making movies I want to see across all genres. This movie has the potential to be pretty awesome.

5. Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 coming to Broadway. This show is incredible, an electropop opera that takes a section of War and Peace and turns it up to eleven. The Russian traditional and modern pop mix together seamlessly. If you haven't listened to the cast album yet, go check it out. Also, if you're a fan of Philippa Soo, who is Eliza Schuyler Hamilton in Hamilton, she plays Natasha (brilliantly, I might add).

6. Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill. The legendary Audra McDonald won her record breaking sixth Tony award for this show, and HBO will air a special performance from New Orleans sometime in March. This is a heartbreaking piece and McDonald completely transforms into Billie and it's incredible. Even if you're not familiar with Lady Day, this is a play worth watching.

7. Seeing more regional theatre. I've discovered a couple of really good companies in my town and I'm excited to see more stuff. I'm also going to attempt the National Tour of Bridges of Madison County in Nashville. But seriously, go support regional theatre, it's totally worth it.

-Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment