Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Great Oscar Predictions of 2016

Welp, the time is come. Let's get down to business.

But before I write out this sure to  be lengthy post,  I would like to take a moment to express my utter sadness at the passing of Alan Rickman. Rest in peace.


Best Picture

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

So nothing out of the ordinary here. As much as I completely adored Mad Max, I still believe it will be a tough battle between Spotlight and The Revenant. If you're of the money betting type, I'd put it on Spotlight at the moment. Also, where is Carol? I would have EASILY replaced Bridge of Spies with that. Heck, I'd have even thrown in Straight Outta Compton.
Prediction: Spotlight

Best Director

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (The Revenant)
Tom McCarthy (Spotlight)
Adam McKay (The Big Short)
George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road)
Lenny Abrahamson (Room)


Again, a battle between Revenant and Spotlight to me. Alejandro is hot off a win for Birdman though, and the Academy the kind of suffering in the Revenant, so I'd say Alejandro's got it.

Best Actor

Leonardo Dicaprio (The Revenant)
Eddie Redmayne (The Danish Girl)
Matt Damon (The Martian)
Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs)
Bryan Cranston (Trumbo)

No Johnny Depp for Black Mass, which is unfortunate, and I'm slightly weirded out that Matt Damon made it in, but LEO IS FINALLY THE FRONTRUNNER TO WIN EVERYBODY GET HYPE.
Prediction: Leo

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett (Carol)
Brie Larson (Room)
Jennifer Lawrence (Joy)
Charlotte Rampling (45 Years)
Saorise Ronan (Brooklyn)

You can count on Brie Larson for this one. Her performance in Room has been gathering steam for some time now, and while I haven't personally seen the movie, she has done awesome work in the past (check out Short Term 12, it's one of my favorite newer films). If there is an upset, it's Cate. Also, where in the world is Charlize Theron? She made Mad Max one of the best movies of the year.
Prediction: Brie Larson

Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale (The Big Short)
Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies)
Tom Hardy (The Revenant)
Mark Ruffalo (Spotlight)
Sylvester Stallone (Creed)

I'm calling Mark Rylance, that dude never walks on stage without getting a Tony and I bet the Academy will follow suit.

Best Supporting Actress 

Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight)
Kate Winslet (Steve Jobs)
Rooney Mara (Carol)
Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl)
Rachel McAdams (Spotlight)

Personally, my money is on Alicia Vikander. Tarantino has a way with the supporting categories though, so maybe just maybe Jennifer Jason Leigh. But pretty much all of these awesome ladies have a pretty good shot. Again, if you're the betting type, Alicia Vikander.

Best Original Screenplay

Spotlight
Bridge of Spies
Straight Outta Compton
Inside Out
Ex Machina

Cool to see Straight Outta Compton and Ex Machina put in. Spotlight will take it though.
Best Adapted Screenplay

The Martian
Brooklyn
The Big Short
Carol
Room

If the Big Short wins anything, it'll be here. From what I hear, this movie has all the wit needed to carry a story about something nobody understands.

Best Cinematography

The Revenant
Carol
Sicario
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Hateful Eight

I'd say The Revenant, although the Academy might be on board with Tarantino and Co.s dedication to the 70mm format with Hateful Eight. Mad Max would be the upset.

Best Film Editing

The Big Short
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Spotlight
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Holla at Star Wars! But seriously, I'm praying Mad Max can get this one, because the lady who did it (and it was a lady whose name is escaping me at the moment) did a brilliant job, especially in comparison to some other terribly edited car chase sequences in the movies this year (cough cough Spectre cough cough). So yeah, Mad Max all the way.

Best Visual Effects

Ex Machina
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Once again, the Academy has proved that the only category allowed to have fun is Visual Effects. If Star Wars gets honored, it will probably  be here for the fantastic mix of CGI and practical effects. But I'm going to go with Ex Machina, which also had some jawdropping crazy SFX stuff.
Best Production Design

The Danish Girl
Mad Max: Fury Road
Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

I'm gonna go with Mad Max, but The Revenant and The Martian are up there too, with a possible upset by the Danish Girl.

Best Costumes

Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant

Mad Max vs. Cinderella. That's a sentence I never thought I'd write. I personally am putting my money on Mad Max.

Best Original Score

Ennio Morricone (The Hateful Eight)
Carter Burwell (Carol)
John Williams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
Thomas Newman (Bridge of Spies)
Johann Johannson (Sicario)

I'm thinking Ennio has this one. It is nice to see John Williams here, for his excellent work blending new and old with his Star Wars score (I listen to Rey's theme a lot).

Best Original Song

Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)
Manta Ray (Racing Exctinction)
Simple Song #3 (Youth)
Til It Happens To You (The Hunting Ground)
Writing's on the Wall (Spectre)

I really disliked a lot of things about Spectre, but nothing more than Sam Smith's utter Adele rip off of a title credits song. My heart is set on Lady Gaga's emotionally compelling Til It Happens To You. But my dumb analytical brain says Writings on the Wall. I really hate Sam Smith. Ugh.

There's a bunch of other categeories that I don't have sufficient knowledge in to discuss so I'll just leave this post off here. It's Anomalisa vs. Inside Out for Best Animated so we'll see how it goes. Best of luck with your viewing party. I'll probably be in rehearsal for a show during the broadcast, but I'll be sure to catch it when I come home.

This is like the whitest Oscars ever, wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment