Thursday, December 8, 2011

In Which I Question Female Superhero Outfitting

Hi everyone :) So today, after a few action movies, I have written a post I've been meaning to do for a while on action heroes and their clothes.
Superficial? A little, but stick with me here.
I've noticed some things when I stroll down the action movie aisles lately. All the "Female empowerment" films with women in their title roles taking names and kicking butt are dressed like sluts (Did you like my little un-intentional rhyme there?). Halle's Catwoman (which flopped anyway), the aforementioned Sucker Punch fiasco, more recently Columbiana, etc.
First of all, it doesn't even make sense to be a slutty superwoman simply for the fact that  it's not good gear for combat. I wouldn't want  a lot of bare skin if bullets were flying at me! You'd want the standard catsuit (Michelle Pfeiffer) but bulletproof, waterproof, flameproof, and no heels on the boots.
It honestly bothers me that directors try to market more towards boys than the girls that film was supposedly made for. It doesn't win over too many people, besides middle school boys with too much money and time. I know more girls who didn't go see the aforementioned movies because of all the boobs and butts. But maybe that's just the crowd I know.


-Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment