Friday, June 15, 2012

The Fall of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

About two years ago, I was watching a stupid VH1 music special. I don't really know why. I kind of hate VH1 music specials, but I end up finding bands I really like when I watch them. Anyway, this particular one featured a favorite band of mine, Heart, playing with a band I'd never heard of called Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. After wading through Katy Perry and Kerri Hilson, the band took the stage. I was pretty impressed, they had a hard rock edge, and excellent vocals by Ms. Potter.
I ended up buying their latest album at the time, self titled, and full of cool bluesy jam band like songs. It was pretty good.
Then I bought the previous one, This Is Somewhere, which easily beat out the former for their best album.

Fast forward, to now. Grace Potter and Co. have just released their newest album The Lion, The Beast, The Beat. I'm thoroughly disappointed.

I listened to most of the album on Spotify this morning, and my only thought the entire time is "What just happened?"

The Lion The Beqst The Beat is....it suffers from what I've titled The Lana Del Rey Dilemma. Every song has the same content, speed, sound, and style. But also like Del Rey's debut, Born To Die, there are a few good moments.

Whereas This Is Somewhere was alive and kicking and raw, and their self titled a little more polished, TLTBTB seems like the Nocturnals lost steam and fell asleep. It's one un-inspired moment after another. There is no kick or punchline or anything to keep you from mindlessly bobbing your head and waiting for something good.

On a slightly different note, it's exceptionally sad that the worst song of the bunch "Never Go Back" has been chosen as the lead first single. I've heard it on The Spectrum  a few times, and it sounds like a  song that a P!nk knock off record, or the ever failing Madonna. I can barely stand it.

It's a shame to see a band like this go in for the mainstream kill. I'm sure their success will be massive after this album. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Maybe the band wanted to move in this direction, but I personally will not be listening after this disaster.

-Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment